Saturday, January 15, 2011

weekends

weekends should be sacred. no one should be expected to work on weekends, and that includes being asked about work on weekends.

unfortunately, this rule has been broken many a time – i’ve done it as well and i feel bad for asking people about work on weekends! but it’s such a heavy feeling to have to think of work over the weekend.. and the fact that i know emails are still coming in and there’ll be a sizable number of emails in my inbox when i open it again on monday morning – after having checked it earlier today to send stuff – casts a shadow over my weekend.

i don’t know how my colleagues do it. there’s been so much work to do since i came back from holiday a bit more than a week ago and i’m exhausted. one of my colleagues sent something at 2am on thursday, and another colleague was actually on outlook after that email was sent and read it.

it’s insane. if i go to bed anytime after midnight, i’m even more tired than usual the following workday. by thursday and friday this week i was bleary-eyed and tired even before i got to work. so much time was spent sitting in front of the computer staring at the screen, while my brain slowly processed what needed to be done.

it would have been a lot more productive if i’d spent more time sleeping and less time trying, but failing, to work. and then i look at my schedule for the week ahead and my heart sinks cos i know what’s gonna be in store for me. SiGH.

invent me a teleportation device, oh brilliant scientists, so that i save at least 2 hours a day commuting – time which could be spent sleeping or other leisure activities. how does this other colleague work the hours we do AND take a part-time course outside? i’m completely flummoxed.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com