Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Two Weeks

It has been two weeks since I moved over and I’m not as settled in as I’d thought I’d be.

I’m still waiting to set up a bank account, as some idiot at BT screwed things up by acting on his own accord despite our express instructions to send a paper bill. Without the bank account, I’m still without a proper mobile line – and a new phone – here, and was forced to get a Tesco pay-as-you-go SIM card, which at least has given me some semblance of normality to life with internet on the go*. I finally hauled my lazy ass down to register with a GP so that I’ll have some medical coverage if I fall ill, and the appointment is next week. Same for the application for a National Insurance number – the appointment is next week as well.

I’m still waiting to apply for my provisional driving licence, namely because I need to find someone who has known me for more than 2 years and resident in the UK to sign on the back of my passport photo to verify that the photo is, indeed, of me. Perhaps E’s dad on our next trip down to the country. I’ll need to submit my passport with that too, so it’ll have to wait till all the essentials are sorted.

I’m very slowly working on finding a job, with the emphasis on ‘slowly’, as evidenced by me spending about the past 2.5hrs finding a suitable blogger template and updating it. Even then, I’m not entirely satisfied by this one – it seems a little too cheery for Belfast, and childish for my age and my unemployed circumstances – but I like its simplicity.

Already I’m certain that I cannot ever be a housewife, as it’s an incredibly boring occupation. I can imagine what tonight’s conversation will be like:

E: What did you get up to today?

Me: Oh, nothing much. Tried finding a job but got distracted and updated my blog instead. And looked into A and B and C about D and E and F.

E: I see. What else did you do?

Me: Well, I also did the laundry, and as I read that you have to de-ice your freezer regularly to ensure that it’s energy efficient, I spent an hour this morning de-icing it. You should have seen the amount of ice that had accumulated in our freezer – it filled up the whole oven tray and more!

Yup, I must be so proud that my greatest achievement today was removing the insane amount of ice in our freezer so that now we can save money on electricity with an energy efficient freezer! Yay. Really, it’s not so much that I’m bored of sitting at home – not yet anyway – but it’s just that I have nothing interesting to share or talk about with other people. Yesterday I went to see The Trocks (more on them in another post I think) which will be fun to talk about, but before that the most exciting thing I had to talk about was the immensely tiring walk I had to Forestside, which was much further and way more strenuous to get to than we’d thought.

Anyway. I’d better put in more effort into finding a job. And, out of sheer randomness, here’s a picture of the Big Fish – which I am told is called Kev.

WP_20130219_022

*: Yes, I am very attached to my phone, am a Facebook addict and am extremely grateful for access to GoogleMaps on demand in an unfamiliar city. Smartphones have to be one of the greatest inventions of the century.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com