Thursday, January 12, 2012

Amazon UK rocks

Despite the popularity of online shopping on blog shops, Gmarket and the like, online shopping in Singapore is in no way comparable to what is available in some other countries, like the UK for example.

For one, there’s a larger variety of retailers that offer online shopping and many retailers with physical shops also allow for online orders via their website and delivery.

Also, while online shopping in Singapore is more or less limited to women’s fashion – clothes, accessories, shoes and jewellery – you can buy and sell just about anything in the UK.

The jewel in the crown is definitely the presence of Amazon – it’s amazing how one website can offer a phenomenal variety of products from a whole range of suppliers. I love that individuals can set up an online presence on Amazon too, and ride on the brand name, search function and site traffic to sell their products – thanks to Amazon’s marketplace, I managed to sell quite a few books and CDs when I was in Japan.

I’ve been shopping online at UK websites and stores a lot more in the past year and a half, and I have to admit that the variety and choice available makes buying gifts SO MUCH EASIER.

Nonetheless, I was quite stumped when trying to buy a cake – Google searches weren’t very helpful, and the few relevant websites that I managed to find via Google didn’t deliver to my requested destination, didn’t offer quite what I wanted or never responded to my enquiry.

Stumped, I went back to Amazon UK just to try my luck – I didn’t expect them to sell much food. However, lo and behold, it actually managed to give me quite a few good results! I’ve placed my order with a shop which I found through Amazon – they have a physical presence too – and I’m really happy because my mission is complete :)

Now I just have to wait for the items to be delivered – hopefully the recipient will be delighted too!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com