Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dreaming of Japan

I was considering going to Japan in July, on my miles, just for a short week or so. The idea popped into my head in bed last night, and I got so excited about the whole idea that I couldn’t sleep and had to get out of bed to explore whether it were possible or not.

It is possible, although now it has become a toss-up between going to Japan and using the miles to redeem a one-way flight to London, from which I can fly to Belfast after a short stopover. The latter will result in savings of about 1K, even including the cost of London-Belfast via Aer Lingus, while the former will mean about 1.5K in expenditure.

At the moment, the latter option is winning. It has been 6 years since I was last in London, and I do miss it very much. It would mean meeting up with a different group of people, and getting reacquainted with a city that has undergone much change in the years that I was away.

At the same time, I was very much looking forward to Japan again. It would have meant touching base with some people whom I’d spent a lot of time with in my two years there, and I had already planned out all the people and places I would go – Momodani, Sakuya, BOE, the new Osaka station, my hairdresser, the ballet studio, etc. I would have enjoyed the time that I had planned to spend sitting in Marylebone, enjoying the soup bowl-sized coffee and cake, reading the Japanese book on the homeless that I haven’t touched in the longest time. I was looking forward to speaking Japanese again, just being in that country, in the city that was home.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those who have lived in Japan generally miss it but really nothing much changes. Going back really only serves go remind you how easy life was as an ALT. Why not try and work in London?

 
design by suckmylolly.com