Friday, September 21, 2012

Formula One Night Race 2012 in Singapore!

I was really lucky to have won tickets to the Formula One this year. Granted it’s just the practice session, but the cars are the same, the VROOOMs are the same, and to be honest I’m most curious about what it’s like to be there on the track itself – mainly because I don’t follow F1.

I was lucky as I won’t be participating in the ballot next year, and also because if I hadn’t fallen sick I’ll be in Guangxi, China at the moment with only Sunday’s tickets to ballot for (and a lesser quantity available than today as well). It’s also the reason why these pictures aren’t on Facebook – out of consideration for my colleague (and boss) who had to do my work instead cos I wasn’t well to travel :S

I went with my mum for the first practice session – ironically it’s not “night” yet:

IMG_2617

The skyline of Singapore is beautiful from the Bay Grandstand, with a gorgeous view of Marina Bay. It had poured earlier in the afternoon and threatened to rain still:

IMG_2624

IMG_2625

IMG_2626

The cars are all a blur from where we were. Actually our seats were for much higher up, but there were so many empty seats available so we just plonked ourselves down. We are also not allowed to stand near the railings to take photos, and the ushers have to constantly remind people to return to their seats:

IMG_2659

Red Bull is easy to spot:

IMG_2627

It’s obvious why people aren’t allowed at the railings when you’re trying to take pictures from your seat, but it’s really annoying when you want a good shot!

IMG_2650

The view of the background got much better as the sky darkened:

IMG_2666

I managed to get shots with cars in them too :)

IMG_2665

I hated this red ribbon barrier, had no idea what it was for and tried but failed to take the section of that band off:

IMG_2670

I managed to take a long video with quite a lot of the cars, to hear the VROOOOM. The engines were very loud (deafeningly so if you were next to the barriers), but the foam ear plugs we bought onsite were of some help. Ear plugs are a MUST.

I pity those crew right next to the track. I hope they have industrial strength ear protection, though it seems like not all of them do. Just walking down to the exit resulted in literally ringing ear drums as the cars went past:

IMG_2675

I got restless and took short walk to the edge of the stand – so gorgeous from here, with a view of another very empty stand:

IMG_2673

Compare the number of people there to mine, which got increasingly crowded as the evening wore on:

IMG_2622

A look at one of the merchandise booths:

IMG_2676

We ambled over to the walkabout section, where I took this shorter video:

We left shortly after, as we had enough of vroom vrooms and neither of us were that keen on the fringe entertainment events. Besides, I didn’t have much sleep last night and was rather tired by then.

IMG_2679

And a parting shot:

IMG_2680

My Formula One curiosity sated :)

1 comments:

FoodieFC said...

I have never been on site to see the F1 too. TV will be enough for now.

Now that you mention abt the noise, I wonder how the drivers themselves hear the orders via the team radio. The noise is way too loud for any noise cancellation equipment?
=)

 
design by suckmylolly.com