Thursday, August 19, 2010

Aerin’s – Raffles City

Aerin’s is a nice, relaxed restaurant at the basement of Raffles City. The escalators soar upwards at the edge of the restaurant, meaning that the ceiling of Aerin’s is the ceiling of Raffles City itself. Together with the ample distance between tables, Aerin’s feels spacious, something which is somewhat lacking in Singapore. On top of it all – and perhaps the main draw – is that Aerin’s surrounds the fountain at the basement; it feels wonderful sitting next to the lap of water with limitless space above you.

The food there is pretty good too. M ordered the fish and chips ($18) that came with a tasty dip, good fries and three pieces of crisp, battered fish that were smooth and soft on the inside.

I’m trying to find good Italian pasta like that at Pomodoro Fresca in heartwarming Momodani, Osaka. The last meal I had in Japan was actually Tagliatelle Ragu – the pasta had a delightful texture and taste, the tomato sauce was perfect and the beef was a wonderful mix of meat and fat:

DSCF0204

It was so heavenly that, in my quest to find something similar back home, I immediately zoomed in on Aerin’s Tagliatelle ($22) when I saw it on the menu. It was slightly pricey for pasta, but the cream sauce was delicious and the servings of mushrooms and smoked salmon very generous. I’m not sure if mushrooms and cream actually goes with smoked salmon, but I like all three so I was happy enough :)

after dinner, we went for the Baked Apple and Rhubarb Pie ($12). It’s a monstrosity of a dessert:

DSCF0220

Unfortunately I didn’t like the taste of the pie’s crust that much, and discovered upon breaking it down that there was a baking dish beneath, filled with apple chunks and rhubarb in a sauce – not quite my idea of an apple pie. Admittedly it was true to the description on the menu, but I think it was the general so-so taste of the dessert in general – except the vanilla bean ice cream which was good – that made it a little disappointing.

still, dinner was delicious and the ambiance relaxing – it’s on my list of restaurants good for repeat visits, and M happens to like it very much too :)

for more pretty pictures of Aerin’s food on their website, please click here.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com