Saturday, August 7, 2010

IKEA Tampines

I was there the other day looking for some simple pieces of furniture to make my room more homely and comfy.

The idea of having to settle into “home” just seems oxymoronic to me, and the fact that I have to do so makes me really wonder where exactly home is. A friend commented that having spent 2 years somewhere else – and a place i wanted to stay in, no less – must have made me very confused with regard to my identity and idea of home, and confused indeed i am. But that’s more thoughts for another day; i’m not sure i can deal with it now.

Anyway, the IKEA at Tampines has a horrible layout. We went there for lunch, then shopping, and the idea was to finish off shopping with the amazingly tasty Koppaberg pear cider.

This cider is recommended for anyone who loves sweet alcohol, and would take to beer if not for its bitterness and fizz. Koppaberg is smooth, non-fizzy, has a light sweetness and is deliciously easy to drink.

So, with that good plan in mind, we went off shopping. Among some other items, I bought a small table and a chair – the former was slighly heavy and the latter just bulky as it couldnt fit into the IKEA bags. Items paid for and in trolley, we wheeled our way to the food hall, only to be stopped and informed that trolleys are not allowed. What the..? We ended up having to walk out, go down one floor and go up again to reach the food hall with bulky and heavy merchandise. And upon leaving, we had to walk through the showrooms because that was the only way out.

Utter stupidity. I suppose it’s always a good idea for shops to funnel customers through the store, but didnt anyone consider that customers might want to have a non-linear shopping experience? Food and drink is a good way to end off shopping, and hey, when you’re tired and weighed down with items, a standing area with hotdogs and soft serve ice cream ain’t gonna cut it.

I think pear cider is a great way to end off the shopping experience at IKEA, and it’ll be added to my list of must-dos together with meatballs on a trip to IKEA :)

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com