Wednesday, October 13, 2010

dictionary fail

So someone high up suggested we read this particular news article that's in Chinese.

I decided that enough was enough, and that I should get myself an electronic English-Chinese dictionary that allows for handwritten input - counting the strokes to find out the reading or meaning of a word is horribly tedious.

So off I went. Best denki used to sell them, or so I and my colleagues mistakenly thought.

Best denki at taka suggested I try inside taka itself at the Seiko counter, so down i went. Unfortunately the only one with written input was expensive and not very good.

Off to the last stop - Popular (thats after trying some suggestions at funan). And oh my. Price-wise it was about the same as the Seiko - $398! Even my nintendo DS that I can play games on didn't even cost anything near that much.

And these dictionaries pitch themselves as edu-tools; what parent has the money to buy stuff like these? It was surprising too that these dictionaries are so elusive - there're tonnes of these stuff for Japanese.

But well. Looks like it back to counting strokes and flopping through the dictionary for me :(

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.1

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com