Tuesday, April 19, 2011

GE 2011

And so it has been announced that the elections will be held on 7th May.

There was minor excitement at the office today when we discovered that Parliament had been dissolved. Shortly after, Mr. Brown incorrectly said that polling day will be on 6th May; a minor commotion occurred among a group of us (6th May = Friday = off day!) but quickly ceased when we were puzzled as to why BBC carried the news before ST and CNA did – and we checked the date the article (2006). And then the actual announcement was made – 7th May it is, and since it’s a Saturday we get no off in lieu for having to head to the polls. Boo.

I suppose it was a good thing that all this occurred when our email servers were down. Most of us were affected, which meant we could neither send nor receive any emails the entire afternoon. What do to? For the first time in a long time I actually could go home on time because I couldn’t work.

* * *

Anyway, a colleague mentioned that there was an article on the TOC which said that TPL may have contravened the elections rule. I’m surprised this hasn’t been picked up and spread all over the internet – imagine the impact if her appeal for votes at the end of the video could actually be considered an infringement of the Parliamentary Elections Act.

I’m pretty sure there’re grounds for taking this to court – the phrasing of the Act and the definition of “election activity” are such that any lawyer can make a case for it. At any rate, it’s an addition to the list of things regarding TPL that people can roll their eyes at*. That senior politicians keep stepping up to defend her just makes it all the more irksome – if she’s really that strong one wouldn’t need to keep harping on it; if she’s really that good why isn’t the populace convinced?

It just seems like they’re trying too hard to justify their choice. Since it’s not possible for them to admit that they might have miscalculated (or misjudged) in fielding TPL as candidate and in expecting her to appeal the youths (who are in fact her very critics on the Internet), it’s probably best they just say nothing or risk pissing off people once again – and for real this time.

Seriously. One more article defending TPL and I swear I will scream.

* * *

Ever since walkabouts intensified about a month ago, I’ve been looking forward to finally seeking my MPs when they do their house visits. Then things heated up; still no sign of MPs. And now with election day looming, when will I get a visit from my MPs?

Apparently, MPs are meant to visit their residents at least 3 times during their term. They are supposed to go from door to door; if residents are not at home, a card or letter would be placed under the door or at the grille informing residents of their visit.

I’ve lived in the same house for all my 25 years and never have MPs ever visited us once nor left a note informing us of a missed visit.

I am happy and satisfied with the quality of life in my estate, but I now will have words for my MPs when they arrive – assuming they even appear.

 

*: Personally, I think the final paragraph of her CV is also haha-worthy. I can’t imagine writing this on my CV if I were job-hunting, because it would come off as frivolous – the exact impression that people are getting of her. 

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com