Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking forward and looking back

2012 was an eventful and crazy year. Things that occurred at the start of the year felt like they had happened much further back, as the days were hectic, the hours were long and there were so many things going on.

I somehow managed to have a fair number of social gatherings, trained for and took my Grade 8 exams, and made it to M&D’s wedding. I got my visa, E came to visit, and I caught sight of the pandas. There were personal and work trips to Subang, Penang, Danang/Hoi An and Taiwan. And of course, there was lots of good food.

Looking back, I can say that I have survived. December brought a wonderful breather, after all the insanity that had come before. After the stress and anxiety, my visa is in my passport and we are finally ending this long-distance thing. I’ve also managed to maintain my weight – although this may change after the repercussions of December’s feasting kicks in.

2013 will bring excitement and adventure – as well cold weather and as lots of rain. I will try to make the most of Jan to finish up my work and catch up with friends. The start of Feb will be to spend time with family while packing up my things, celebrating Chinese New Year, then heading to Belfast in the wee hours of 初三。

The year will bring the challenges of finding a job, getting used to living together and adjusting to a very different climate and city. I wonder how it will be like to have my mobility decreased due to the lack of relatively affordable taxis and an extensive public transport system – I will have to rely on my two feet, the boy’s driving (when he’s not at work) and infrequent bus services. Shopping for groceries, browsing for leisure and buying necessities will not be as convenient as it was in Japan, and now my cooking will have to be fit for two.

I will try to land a good job, learn how to drive and find somewhere I can continue with ballet classes. Otherwise, I should venture into other forms of exercise – Zumba, jazz, or just heading to the gym. With plentiful countryside, we should try to venture outdoors at least once a month or once every other week if possible. I hope we can travel a lot more, around Ireland, around the UK, and around continental Europe. I also hope that we will be prudent in our spending and keep a clean, tidy and happy home.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com