Sunday, January 6, 2013

Revelation

Derry/Londonderry in Northern Ireland (NI) has been listed as one of the top 10 destinations to visit in 2013, and I was browsing their calendar of events when I came upon this:

The Chinese community is NI’s largest and oldest minority ethnic group. Chinese immigrants arrived in the 1960s, mainly from Hong Kong, and today there are over 13,000 Chinese people - including students - living in NI.

No wonder the first few people I saw when I was in Belfast over Christmas 2010 were Chinese! I recall back then that I was all excited being the token Asian – I mean, you really wouldn’t expect Chinese to be in NI, would you – only to have that thought crushed quite promptly.

At any rate, Derry/Londonderry is also the UK’s city of culture for 2013 (that’s probably why it was on the Top 10 list) and given its proximity to Belfast I’ll be using this as an excuse for getting people to visit me!

This, by the way, is in the county – the gorgeous Mussenden Temple. Come visit!:

Jo_Christmas_043

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com